Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Healthy strawberry Oat muffins

I love a good muffin, but I don’t like the incredible calories that come with a great muffins.

In my quest to ensure my husband and I are not throwing away food (We now have a leftover night!) I was searching for a good strawberry recipe. You see, we had a great big package of strawberry and we ate most of them, but the last third was not looking appealing to the eye to eat straight from the package. Let me get something clear here, I did not cook with stale or molded food, they were just very ripe.
We are not pie type and we have more than enough juices and shakes so I did not want to blend it with other fruits and drink it. I was looking for muffins recipe, not the cupcake type but really healthy muffins- you know those that some time look weird but taste delicious?



Anyhow, I found the following on a parenting website. It couldn’t have been further away from my usual browsing as pretty much everyone I know, know that I am not the mother type.

Ingredients:


- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon (I put a whole teaspoon)
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup of milk
- ¼ fat-free, sugar-free strawberry yogurt
- ½ cup brown sugar (used brown splenda)
- ½ pint chopped fresh strawberries (I probably put twice as much)

Grease 12 muffins cups. (I use paper cups but I also sprayed a bit of butter as they might stick to the paper. In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix the milk, egg and yogurt. Mix in the strawberries. Stir the strawberry mixture into oats just until it is evenly moist. Spoon the mix into prepared muffins cups. Bake 18 to 20 minutes.



Yummy!

Strawberry on Foodista

3 comments:

Alisa@Foodista said...

Wow!They look delicious!Hope you wont mind but I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site, just add this little widget here to this post and it's all set to go, Thanks!

Nisha said...

I made these and it was delicious! I figure they are at most 50 calories per muffin, as that would mean the whole tray ingredients was over 500 cals! Awesome. Only problem is the muffins stuck to the cups, I'm going to try again without the cups.

Acquiel said...

Thanks! I added the widget. I won't say no to traffic :)