Monday, May 18, 2009

Asian Night: First Guest Blogger!

My friend Miss N came over yesterday for dinner. Long story short, I was to make salad roll + coconut shrimps. I know she loves Thai food so she was thrilled to join me. She accepted to be my guest blogger and do Pad Thai. We were in for a feast and tons of yummy food!

Salad rolls

- Rice paper
- Iceberg lettuce
- Crab meat (I am cheap, I used crab sticks)
- Shrimps
- Mint
- Rice vermicelli
- Sesame seeds

Dip the rice paper (1 at the time, they are going to stick together otherwise) in cold water for about 30 seconds. Shake off the excess water. Place a bit of lettuce in the center of the roll, top with a crab stick, add a handful of rice vermicelli (it all depend on the size you like your roll). Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Add 1 or 2 leaves of mint, and top with 3-4 shrimps. Wrap like a burrito. (There must be a trick as mine were not as tight as the one in the restaurant)



Crushed peanut and Lime vinaigrette

You cannot have salad roll without having a dip can you? Well, not in my house, these rolls are made for dipping!

- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup brown sugar (I used brown splenda and N didn’t even noticed)
- 2 ½ tablespoon of fish sauce (I didn’t have any, I used oyster sauce)
- 1 ½ olive oil (or sesame)
- 2 tablespoon of fresh mint (I kinda cheated and added ¼ cup)
- ¼ cup crushed peanuts
- 1 teaspoon of chillie
- Garnish with green onions

How to: Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. It can be done up to 3 days in advance. (Some people add cilantro; I do not like cilantro so I didn’t put any)



Coconut shrimps: I cheated, they’re store bought



Miss N Pad Thai

Miss N uses a box for the Pad Thai. The box only says to add meat and that’s it. Miss N completely overhaul the recipe and added mushroom, garlic, red and yellow pepper, mint and lime juice. It was great!!

No comments: