Monday, July 27, 2009

Ostrich steak

I love ostrich meat. I like to have ostrich meat to in lieu of other meats because it is so low in saturated fat, which clogs arteries and which may contribute to heart disease and arteriosclerosis. I’ve found ostrich meat for the first time at the Calgary’s farmers market. It has a very subtle taste and it feel like eating filet minion for a fraction of the cost.



Anyhow, when my husband and I want to have a treat other than regular Alberta beef, we’re indulging into tender fan cut of ostrich.

Ostrich cooks a lot faster than beef, so it is important to ensure it is not overdone. The ostrich meat should be no more cooked than medium, I like mine rare.



I love to serve it with fresh vegetables (that of course, come from the market!). That night, we had it served with sliced beets, steamed asparagus and a side of butter and herbs pastas. It was delicious!

No comments: