Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I heart soup

I love soup, I think it’s the perfect dinner when you are not too hungry but want something. Paired with crackers spread with a creamy garlic-y cheese and I am in heaven.

I call the following vegetable soup my left-over-disposer. Basically, I use all my leftover and turn them into a hearty soup. How do I manage to have enough variety to make a soup? Pretty simple; every night where we have some vegetable left over, I dice them and put them into a freezer bag and freeze it. I do the same with little piece of meat as my husband like to have some beef or chicken in his soup.

Once I have enough little freezer bags, I put some chicken stock to boil with a small can of diced tomatoes. I season well with oregano and Italian spices (but you can use any herbs you like). Once it boils, I add the vegetables (still frozen), the meat (Still frozen) and some pasta. Let everything simmer for 30 minutes and enjoy a bowl of hearty soup.

For people that like vegetables cream soup, just do same but do not add meat or pasta. Once everything has simmered for a while, put everything in the blender until pureed. Put back in the pot, add some cream and voila!

No comments: