Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Wintery soup

I like unconventional taste and I love trying different stuff. A while ago, when I was still living in Quebec, I went to a restaurant where the soup they served was a pear and celery soup. I just loved the taste; I then went crazy online to find a recipe that would allow me to indulge at home on something similar. Sadly, I can’t recall where I found it. There are multiples website that advertise such recipe and I even found one that add Stilton cheese to it (it’s going to be my next soup try I think).

Anyhow, I felt cold yesterday and all I wanted was soup. Here is the recipe.

Pear and celery creamy soup

• 3 tbsp butter
• 5 c finely chopped celery
• 4 onion, sliced
• 1 c minced fresh chives
• 1 tsp dried thyme
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp pepper
• 6 c chicken stock
• 3 ripe pear, peeled, cored, and, sliced
• 1 c 10% cream(I used 2% organic milk to make it lower in fat)

In pot, melt butter over medium heat. Cook celery, onions, chives, thyme, salt and pepper, covered and stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until softened.
Pour in stock; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-20 minutes or until celery is very tender. Add pears; cook for 10 minutes or until pears are tender.
Get your blender out and puree the mix. Return to pot; pour in milk or cream and heat through without boiling.

I normally decorate with a hint of cream (to do a pattern) or some thinly sliced pears.


Sadly, the picture isn't the greatest - I need a macro lenses!

1 comment:

Chowhound said...

I make something similar to this too except mine is a vegetarian version, well maybe not really because it's loaded with cream. I don't use celery and mine is less herby though. I add parsnips for that je ne sais quio quality it adds to the soup (sweetness and spice maybe) caramelized onions and then I use vegetable broth. I've tried mine with chicken stock, it's just so different, I don't know why.

I love your blog by the way. It's very cool.