Monday, March 9, 2009

Seared duck breast on a warm spinach salad.

I finally got around finding good duck in Calgary. Thanks to the farmers market, I am now sure that I will always have inspiration, fresh products and other meats than beef or chicken.

My husband and I went to the movie on Friday and before, we went to play few games of pool. We love to have a wager and this time, it was who was going to cook (as if I wouldn’t be cooking anyway). I lost, therefore I had to cook Saturday and Sunday night (I didn’t hate losing that much to be honest, I had the following menu planned).

Duck breast on warm spinach salad with white wine and shallot dressing.


Duck

When cooking duck, it is important not to remove the fat (It’s the best!). You have to cut little diamonds in the fat, but make sure you are not cutting the meat itself, Season well with salt and pepper. Pre-heat the oven at 350 degree. Heat a pan that can also be put in the over (I used either my stainless one or our good old cast Iron one). Do not add butter or oil, there will be enough fat for it not to stick. Once the pan is very hot, throw the duck breast skin side on the pan and cook for 6.5 minutes. Turn on the meat side and cook for another 2 minutes. Then put in the oven for 6 more minutes. Duck should be served pink.



Warm spinach salad

- 2-3 garlic cloves sliced not crushed (I used 4.. addiction)
- 1 medium shallot thinly sliced (Red onions would do)
- Oil
- 2 table spoon of butter
- ½ cup of white wine
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt
- 1-2 lbs of spinach.

Heat the pan, once hot, turn on low heat; put the butter and the oil. Add the garlic, after 30-45 second, add the shallot. Let them get soft but make sure you don’t caramelize the shallot, the heat should be low. Add the wine and lemon juice (Wine first, I don’t know why, but my mum always told me to put the wine first). Let simmer, and then add the spinach. Toss around until wrapped in the vinaigrette and let the spinach reduce size.



Take the duck out of the oven; let the meat sit for 5-10 minutes and then slice. Lay the spinach on a nice plate, and then add the duck on top. Decorate with some lemon quarter to drizzle juice on top.




Very healthy, very yummy.

No comments: