Monday, December 7, 2009

Cream of carrots and parsnips

Did I ever write how much I love soup? Well, I do. I like all kinds of soups, but I have a preference for the creamy type (Aside of French onion of course!). Since Calgary is getting really cold, I like to make hearty and yummy soup. Here is a simple and delicious one.



Cream of carrots and parsnip
8 to 10 carrots, peeled & sliced
2 to 4 parsnips, peeled & sliced
3 to 5 potatoes, peeled & cubed
2 tbsp. butter
1/2 c. onion, chopped coarsely
6 c. chicken broth
1/2 tsp. thyme
1 bay leaf
1 c. cream (can use milk)
1/4 tsp. Tabasco
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. sugar
Salt & pepper

Heat butter in soup pot. Add onion. Cook and stir. Add carrots, parsnips, potatoes and broth. Boil. Add thyme and bay leaf. Simmer 30 to 40 minutes. Put through processor or blender. Add remaining ingredients.



Delicious, wintery, simple

No comments: