Sunday, October 4, 2009

Cabbage rolls

If something remembers me of my parent’s home, it is cabbage rolls. My mum does the best and she gave me her recipe years ago. I love mines, but they are nothing compares to my mother… I remember going to visit them and she would ask for what I wanted to eat and invariably, I would ask for cabbage rolls even in the midst of summer! I would have dinner and then, in the middle of the evening, get some more. I would literally eat like a pig.

So today, when I saw that the snow was not going to stop, I felt like a home dinner. Something wintery, something that brings good feelings; I made my mum cabbage rolls.



Cabbage rolls

- 1 pounds of lean ground beef
- ½ cup of rice (I used brown rice)
- Salt and pepper
- Onion powder to taste
- 1 egg
- 1 table spoon of milk
- 1 big cabbage
- 1 big can of tomatoes juice
- 1 can of tomatoes sauce
- 1 can of tomato paste

Pre-heat the oven at 350 degrees. In a large bowl, put the beef, rice, egg, milk salt and pepper and onion powder and mix thoroughly (I use my hands, like kneading bread, it mixes everything evenly). In another bowl, mix the tomatoes juice, sauce and paste until smooth. Put the cabbage in a large pot and fill with water. Bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes. Carefully remove one cabbage leaf at the time and put aside. Once all the leaves are out, it’s time to get rolling!



Put a spoon or two of the meat mixture in each leaves and roll. Put in a large cover dish. Once all the rolls are in, pour the tomatoes mixture over it, cover and cook for 3 to 4 hours. Check through the coking to ensure there are still liquid, if there isn’t, add tomatoes juice.

It’s delicious with mashed potatoes and sliced beets on the side!

No comments: